- This event has passed.
Paint Your Heart Out with Lori Putnam – Capturing the Spirit of Nature Outdoors
September 16 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm$150
Capturing the Spirit of Nature Outdoors
Thursday, September 16, 2021
9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Instructor: Lori Putnam, LoriPutnam.com
Putnam Fine Art Studio 1225 Breeden Rd Charlotte, TN 37036
Price: $150 member / $175 non-member Max: 15
Recommended Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced. (https://loriputnam.com/painting-skills-levels)
Class description: This workshop will focus on finding and painting the character of a particular place and time. What makes this painting look any different from the one you painted last week? What is it that you want to share about the scene through paint? Are you relying too much on familiar formulas instead of personal responses? Forget process. There is no reason to paint the same way every time. Come out and play a while… we’re going to shake things up a bit!
This class is not about technique and therefore open to all mediums. Please adapt the supply list below to your preferred medium.
- Plein air equipment required. Lori uses a Putnam Signature EdgePro.
- Please bring whatever color palette you are comfortable using. Preferred colors would include Cad Yellow Light, Naphthol Red, Ultramarine Blue, and Titanium White.
- 2-3 panels. Bring sizes you are comfortable painting in plein air in about 1 1/2 hours. I would suggest two different proportions, for instance 8×10 and 9×12, etc.. Do not pre-tone your panel.
- You may bring whatever brushes you feel comfortable using. Lori will be using mostly Ivory and Evergreen (Rosemary & Co) extra long flats and egberts in sizes 4, 6.
- Duo-tipped neutral grey markers such as Kuretake ZIG Brushables Pure Black and Platinum. https://www.dickblick.com/products/zig-brushables-dual-tip-markers. There may be a few of these available for sale at the studio.
- Gamblin Gamsol (do not bring any other type of mineral spirits please). If you prefer to paint solvent free, try Gamblin Solvent Free Gel or Liquid, Safflower Oil, or Walnut Oil.
- Plein air umbrella recommended
- Towels or rags
- Bag for trash
- Wear neutral-color clothing, hat, sunscreen, bug spray
- Water available. Please bring your own reusable water bottle.
- Sack lunch. Refrigerator available.
- Open mind.
Please park near the road just off the driveway on either side.
COVID safety precautions enforced.
Brief Bio: Lori has exhibited with many respected organizations including but not limited to the Salmagundi Club in New York City, the Oil Painters of America, Laguna Plein air Painters Association, the California Art Club, The Chestnut Group, and the American Impressionists Society. Additionally, both Lori’s plein air and studio paintings have received awards too numerous to count. Some of her more recent accolades have come from the Salmagundi Club in New York City, the Portrait Society of America, The American Impressionist Society, the Oil Painters of America, All Along the Sierra Exhibition, National Oil and Acrylic Painters Society, and the Forgotten Coast Plein air Invitational. In 2021 she took home both the $15,000 Grand Prize and the People’s Choice Awards from Plein air Salon.
Putnam also serves as Vice President for Art Ambassador for a Colorful World. This global organization, founded by artist Kevin Macpherson, whose belief it is that art has the power to change the world.
Find more information on loriputnam.com